Friday, July 13, 2007

Marriage as a Witness

I’ve been searching in vain on this blog for a quote I was sure I’d put on here at some earlier time, but it’s not coming up under any search word I’ve tried. So, here it is (possibly again). It comes from the movie Shall We Dance, and is spoken by the wife who’s mistakenly thought her husband was having an affair. I like the way it talks about the value of marriage.

We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."

Audrey Wells is the scriptwriter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is what came up when I myself was looking up that very quote. So thank you for making it so easy to find. Noticing the date of the post, I realize that you posted this only a few days after I got married, and that made me happy. This quote is beautiful and so true. Thank you again.

Mike Crowl said...

Nice bit of serendipity there, Evelyn. Thanks for letting me know.