Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Meccano

Many people will no longer know what I mean when I write the word, Meccano. When I was a lad, it was the world's equivalent of Lego, but made out of metal and much more flexible. People used to build great models of engineering machines and such out of it. I wasn't ever much into it, because I'm not really a building-sort-of-person, (being creative in a different mode) but I've seen some extraordinary uses made of it.
While checking out some info on a 1930s analogue computer made out of Meccano (I kid you not!) I saw a link to Meccano and Divorce. Obviously some people still horde their Meccano sets with a fervour that is usually only reserved for gold, silver and other precious jewels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my Meccano set, after all these years. What a treasure that was when I was a kid.

Mike Crowl said...

My kids grew up on Lego, I'm afraid...so they missed the wonders of Meccano. I'm not at all surprised to hear you still have your set!