Friday, September 07, 2007

The movie top ten

And here’s the list of movies from Borders’ survey. It’s a bit of a puzzle that only the third of the Lord of the Rings movies makes it. For me, it’s the least successful of the three. Amelie and The Sound of Music make rather strange bedfellows (personally I think Amelie is probably overrated). And has anyone actually seen Breakfast at Tiffany’s lately? The only good thing about it is Audrey Hepburn, in spite of the fact that she’s in a totally inappropriate role (as she was in My Fair Lady.) George WhoeverHeWas is dull, and the movie is dull for the most part too. The Mancini music is good - well Moon River is good, but it's one of those songs tacked onto the movie because it happens to be a good song.
I can’t bear to say anything about the Monty Python movie, except that I think it’s rubbish, and is only appreciated because it’s iconoclastic.
The Shawshank Redemption
Lord of the Kings: Return of the King
Monty Python’s Life of Brian
Amelie
The Sound of Music
Schindler’s List
Some Like it Hot
Pulp Fiction
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Gladiator.
George Peppard was the dull young man in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about Amelie - very overrated. However must dissent with Monty Python, and I have lost count of how many times I have watched Breakfast at Tiffany's. Hepburn's talent for pulling off comic incongruity keeps me coming back!

Michaelie

Mike Crowl said...

Certainly, as I said, Hepburn is the thing that holds the film together. Otherwise you feel it's so flimsy it would fly apart.
Have to beg to differ on Monty Python!