Saturday, November 17, 2007

The choice of coffee

For a number of years I would regularly visit the coffee bar next to my shop and have an espresso. And then one day, I went in and asked for one, and the girl (a new girl, who didn’t have any history of the shop and customers behind her) told me that they didn’t do espressos anymore as I was the only person who ever drank them!

I couldn’t believe it, but had no choice but to accept it.

Since then I’ve tended to drink cappuccinos, although I expect there are still espresso machines around – if I wanted to find them.

A friend and I would get together at 11 am every Friday for quite a long time (until my job situation changed) and we always went to a particular cafĂ© where, he claimed, the best cappuccinos and the best-priced cappuccinos were served. And certainly they were good – though whether it was because we often had one of their baked-on-the-premises cakes or biscuits as well that made a difference, I don’t know.

Anyway, while on my Continental touring, with my wife, I tended to stick to cappuccinos. My taste for espressos is now a thing of the past.

No comments: