Saturday, March 29, 2008

James Hilton


I confess I have a weakness for a novel that tells a story. It can do lots of other things besides, and its scenes can be laid in Tennessee or Timbuktu or Tibet. But a story, please, a story. I believe that people like stories, and I believe that romantic and adventurous stories will hold their popularity because, with all its drawbacks, the romantic and adventurous view of life is the most sensible.

James Hilton
, author of several famous novels, including Lost Horizon and Goodbye Mr Chips.

Quoted in the Afterword to Lost Horizon, Readers Digest edition, 1990

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Melissa. Just wanted to say thank you for posting this quote. I love Hilton and esp. Lost horizons. I collect the book jackets and often give my readers digest version away. I have been looking for this quote for some time.

Thanks again,
Melissa

Mike Crowl said...

Thanks Melissa for your comment. I like his point about the need for story.