Sunday, May 11, 2008

More on McDougall

I have this idea in the back of my head that recently I saw a Ewan McDougall painting that showed he could actually paint – instead of plastering his canvasses with riots of colour and crazy stick creatures. (You just about need two video cards to cope.) Now I love colour in painting, and McDougall’s paintings would appeal enormously to me if the colour actually conveyed something besides a cheap pun and the same old configurations of images.
If the painting I saw the other day really was a McDougall, then I think he’s wasting his talents, and for any artist of calibre to do this is a crying shame. (Check out the quote from Matthew Arnold in this post to see what I mean.)
You can catch up with a whole swathe of McDougall paintings here – and see a picture of the man himself at work.

No comments: