Thursday, September 11, 2008

Four quotes

Found these four quotes on Simon Carey Holt's blog. (He's a great fan of my birthplace, Melbourne).
  • Zadie Smith
    "To speak personally, the very reason I write is so that I might not sleepwalk through my entire life."
  • Joan Didion
    "I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear."
  • Patrick Henry
    "The borders between reading and writing and living are fluid. I do not take time out from life to write, nor do I take time out from life to read. When I quote somebody, I'm not hiding. I'm introducing you to one of my conversation partners."
  • Leander Kirk
    "To live with the Bible is more like living with a multi-generational, extended family than with a crotchety grandfather who keeps telling us of the good old days.

I've removed Simon's links from a couple of these names, as they no longer go anywhere - in the best tradition of the Internet!

No comments: