Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Couple of finds

While waiting for the new piano to arrive, I've been trying to sort through the piles of sheet music that were in my piano stool. Remind me next time I clear out a folder of single pages to keep them in some sort of order, please. Almost every song has every other page reversed, and some songs are mixed in with other songs and pages are missing, and I'm seriously inclined to throw the lot in the recycling bin and be done with it.
However, I have found two things that I'm happy about: the words of the carol, Said the Cat to the Mouse, which my wife loves, but can't remember the words to, and, a photocopy of an article that appeared in a Sydney paper quite a few years ago. It's by Fred Blanks (can that be a real name?) and it lists the famous composers, how many years they lived, and how productive they were per annum. I first saw it on the wall of a music teacher's rooms, and was intrigued by it then. Not sure how I managed to get a copy, but I'd like to put it on a spreadsheet and do some extrapolating beyond what Fred himself does.
Just had a look on the Net - Fred Blanks is a real name. He's written a lot on music, apparently.

No comments: